Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Finally home....

Home??? Doesn't sound very appealing to me... The weather is just unbearable. It's difficult. The humidity suffocates me. I could name a million of bad things after I came back but at the same time, I couldn't resist the benefits of being a Malaysian. Still, I'm proud to be a Malaysian.

I thought I've used to the unfriendliness here in Malaysia or even Asia. But, just after I arrived Singapore Changi International Airport, I was entertained by a very rude customer service agent. I was very mad at her but still, to show my patience, I talked gently to her.

Couldn't take it when I asked 'How are you' and it comes without an answer or even a brief smile. I must say it's very very relevant to me now that Malaysia being rated as one of the rudest countries.

Reflecting back when I was in Great Falls. Everybody or almost everyone show kindness and friendliness to strangers. Does it mean that I'm experiencing culture shock here? Maybe...

Why is there a vast difference between cultures and how do they form? Who started certain culture and how it was being brought down? Generations after generations...

Here, if you were to smile to someone, you will be assumed to be a weirdo. To certain culture, expressing friendliness means doing something cuckoo. I had a deep thought on Monday during PSY 206. Certain behaviours are thought to be abnormal here while it's perfectly normal and acceptable in other places.

I was being seen as a weirdo when I just blurted a 'hi' to one of the salesmen in Digital Mall earlier. I was so used to say hello to people I met in US and of course, without fail, they'd smile and utter 'hi' to me. I must say that they looked attractive even though their features might not be. Nevertheless,people here have attractive faces, but with ugly manners. If were to compare, the latter will lose out.

So, reality tells me..Getting adjusted to the 'new' culture is extremely needed.

1 comment:

Grace★格蕾丝 said...

Good one - adjusting to the "NEW" Culture.. Totally agreed! LOL